For generations, Robin Williams was the face, and voice, of heartfelt comedy. From “Mrs. Doubtfire” to “Aladdin,” adults and children alike loved watching this successful comedian and actor crack jokes on the big screen. When Williams committed suicide in 2014, the world was in shock. The tragedy brought light to the seriousness of depression and the fact that mental illness isn’t always obvious. While the world will always mourn his loss, we now see Robin Williams quotes as life lessons that should never be forgotten.
After studying acting at Juilliard and leaving during his junior year, Williams gave his first professional stand-up performance in 1976. With that success, he soon graduated to television. He was often described as being “intense” and “always on,” while his ability to improv was admired by everyone he worked with.
As his voice and energy became more prolific, Williams was cast in several hit movies. His voice role as Genie in “Aladdin” solidified his fame as an all-around comedic actor. The role was written for him, and much of his final dialogue is the result of his improvisation.
While Williams’ suicide surprised his fanbase, his wife confirmed the actor suffered from depression. He was mistakenly diagnosed with early stage Parkinson’s disease, and after an autopsy, it was revealed he was actually suffering from Lewy body dementia.
Today, his legacy is as both a beloved funny man and a warning that even people who seem happy on the outside can be struggling with mental illness. These Robin Williams quotes span his entire career and shed light on his beliefs, concerns, and life values.
Here are 30 of the most notable Robin Williams quotes.
1. “You’re only given a little spark of madness. You mustn’t lose it.”
2. “I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone.”
3. “I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy. Because they know what it’s like to feel absolutely worthless and they don’t want anybody else to feel like that.”
4. “You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren’t paying attention to.”
5. “Seize the day. Because believe it or not, each and every one of us in this room is one day going to stop breathing.”
6. “Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.”
7. “Stop being afraid of getting older. With age comes wisdom and confidence.”
8. “There are no rules. Just follow your heart.”
9. “Good people end up in Hell because they can’t forgive themselves.”
10. “No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.”
11. “You have this idea that you’d better keep working otherwise people will forget. And that was dangerous. And then you realize, no, actually if you take a break, people might be more interested in you.”
12. There is still a lot to learn and there is always great stuff out there. Even mistakes can be wonderful.”
13. “There’s no shame in failing. The only shame is not giving things your best shot.”
14. “There are three things in this world that you need: Respect for all kinds of life, a nice bowel movement on a regular basis, and a navy blazer.”
15. “If heaven exists, to know that there are laughs, that would be a great thing.”
16. “Don’t associate yourself with toxic people. It’s better to be alone and love yourself than be surrounded by people that make you hate yourself.”
17. “Time is the best teacher, unfortunately, it kills all of its students.”
18. “What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.”
19. “Our job is improving the quality of life, not just delaying death.”
20. “All it takes is a beautiful fake smile to hide an injured soul.”
21. “Comedy can be a cathartic way to deal with personal trauma.”
22. “I don’t have a college degree, and my father didn’t have a college degree, so when my son, Zachary, graduated from college, I said, ‘My boy’s got learnin’!'”
23. “It’s a wonderful feeling when your father becomes not a God, but a man to you, when he comes down from the mountain and you see he’s this man with weaknesses. And you love him as this whole being, not as a figurehead.”
24. “Cocaine is God’s way of telling you you’re making too much money.”
25. “The world is your oyster. Never stop trying new things.”
26. “The human spirit is more powerful than any drug and that is what needs to be nourished: with work, play, friendship, family. These are the things that matter.”
27. “Sometimes you can have a whole lifetime in a day and never notice that this is as beautiful as it gets.”
28. “I believe in destiny. There must be a reason that I am as I am. There must be.”
29. “I do believe in love; it’s wonderful – especially love third time around, it’s even more precious; it’s kind of amazing.”
30. “Make your life spectacular. I know I did.”
Robin Williams committed suicide when he was 63 years old. We will continue to watch his movies and stand-up performances and remember just how powerful a laugh can be. Share these Robin Williams quotes with others to honor this great man.