Dolly Parton is known for a lot more than her flashy makeup and big hair. This country music superstar is a singer, songwriter, actress, businesswoman, instrumentalist, and a huge supporter of several social welfare causes. Born in 1946, Dolly has made her successful career through sheer hard work, dedication, and passion. With a long list of awards, over 100 million records sold worldwide, and a place in the Country Music Hall of Fame, Dolly Parton is a woman who knows what she wants. Dolly Parton quotes speak to everything from what it takes to succeed in a career to living life with authenticity.
One of the most remarkable things about Dolly Parton is that despite her larger-than-life lifestyle, she comes from the most humble beginnings possible. She was born in a one-room cabin in Tennessee and was the fourth of 12 children. She describes her family as being “dirt poor,” but she also commends her father for being one of the smartest people she has ever met (despite being illiterate), and credits her mother for encouraging her musical talents.
Dolly moved to Nashville the day after she graduated high school. It didn’t take long for her to be signed by a record company, but executives thought her strong vibrato voice and look made her more suited to being a bubblegum pop singer. She didn’t enter the country scene until 1967. But when she did, it was clear she belonged there all along.
Over the past 50 years, Dolly Parton has released hit after hit and has used her fame and fortune to inspire and help others. Her Dollywood Foundation focuses on promoting literacy, and she contributes to several HIV/AIDS charities. Some of the best Dolly Parton quotes are from decades ago, but her sentiment still speaks true today.
Here are 20 of the most memorable Dolly Parton quotes for you to enjoy.
1. “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.”
2. “We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.”
3. “I’m not going to limit myself just because people won’t accept the fact that I can do something else.”
4. “Find out who you are. And do it on purpose.”
5. “I don’t like to give advice. I like to give people information because everyone’s life is different, and everyone’s journey is different.”
6. “Being a star just means that you find your own special place, and that you shine where you are. To me, that’s what being a star means.”
7. “Adjusting to the passage of time, I think, is a key to success and to life: just being able to roll with the punches.”
8. “You gotta keep trying to find your niche and trying to fit into whatever slot that’s left for you or to make one of your own.”
9. “I was born with a happy heart, and I try to keep a good attitude. It’s not true that I’m happy all the time because nobody is, and we all go through our things.”
10. “Funny thing is that the poorer people are, the more generous they seem to be.”
11. “Storms make trees take deeper roots.”
12. “If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, then you are an excellent leader.”
13. “It’s hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world.”
14. “You’ll never do a whole lot unless you’re brave enough to try.”
15. “I always just thought if you see somebody without a smile, give ’em yours!”
16. “I’ve had to go against all kinds of people through the years just to be myself. I think everybody should be allowed to be who they are and to love who they love.”
17. “You don’t have to look like everybody else. You don’t have to be a raving beauty to be special and to be beautiful.”
18. “I always count my blessings more than I count my money. I don’t work for money, never did.”
19. “The magic is inside you, there ain’t no crystal ball.”
20. “I never have considered myself a perfectionist, but I do think of myself as a ‘professionalist’…I always strive simply to be my very best.”
We hope you enjoyed reading this collection of Dolly Parton quotes.
From a crowded one-room cabin to being one of the most famous performers in the world, Dolly Parton has led an incredible life. Share these Dolly Parton quotes with friends and family so no one forgets how passion and hard work can truly change a life 🙂