Dr. Seuss quotes are a great way to remember this legendary author who has inspired generations both young and old.
Beloved author and illustrator, Dr. Seuss was born Theodor Seuss Geisel on March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts. As a child, his father would take him to the Springfield Zoo where young Ted loved to draw the animals—in his own special way, of course!
Despite his enormous talent, Geisel almost gave it all up in 1937 after his very first children’s book, And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, was rejected by 27 different publishers.
As the story goes, he was walking down the street, “about to throw the book away,” when he ran into a former classmate who happened to be the new juvenile editor at Vanguard Press. He loved Mulberry Street, and offered Geisel a contract on the spot.
Recounting this pivotal moment, Geisel once said, “That’s one of the reasons I believe in luck. If I’d been going down the other side of Madison Avenue, I would be in the dry-cleaning business today!”
Below are 20 of Dr. Seuss’ most inspirational, heartwarming, and brilliant quotes from his 50+ year career.
1. “Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
2. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.”
3. “Life’s too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don’t and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it’d be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”
4. “I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.”
5. “People are weird. When we find someone with weirdness that is compatible with ours, we team up and call it love.”
6. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”
7. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out.”
8. “I’m glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.”
9. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
10. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
11. “To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”
12. “I’m afraid sometimes you’ll play lonely games too, games you can’t win because you’ll play against you.”
13. “With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.”
14. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.”
15. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
16. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!”
17. “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is You-er than You.”
18. “I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”
19. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
20. “And turtles, of course… all the turtles are free. As turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.”
Did you enjoy these Dr. Seuss quotes? Share this with another Dr. Seuss lover that you know so that they can enjoy them, too. And don’t forget to check out Seussville.com—a website dedicated to all things Dr. Seuss!