We aren’t all born with the natural ability to run a 5-minute mile, and those chiseled abs we see in magazines have to be photoshopped, right? Those centerfolds most likely are a trick from some generous photo editor, but the truth is, fitness is about a lot more than looking good. Sure, the abs are a bonus, but personal work out goals should be centered around health and overall well-being. The problem is, reaching those goals takes time and commitment. Thankfully, there are fitness quotes to give us the extra boost of motivation we need.
When the alarm blares in the morning or you’ve had a long day, heading to the gym or lacing up those sneaks can seem like an insurmountable challenge. You can visualize achieving your goals all you want, but if you don’t have the motivation to get moving, you won’t get anywhere. These fitness quotes will remind you why your goals are important and get you hyped to start crushing those personal bests.
Here are 30 fitness quotes that will put you in the right mindset to get going.
1. “Most people fail, not because of lack of desire, but because of lack of commitment.” — Vince Lombardi Jr.
2. “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” — Karen Lamb
3. “The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides a champion from someone who is not a champion.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
4. “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.” — Michael Jordan
5. “All progress takes place outside the comfort zone.” — Michal Joan Bobak
6. “Look in the mirror. That’s your competition.” — John Assaraf
7. Put all excuses aside and remember this: You are capable.” — Zig Ziglar
8. “No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch.” — Unknown
9. “The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person’s determination.” — Tommy Lasorda
10. “You’re only one workout away from a good mood.” — Unknown
11. “It’s going to be a journey. It’s not a sprint to get in shape.” — Kerri Walsh Jennings
12. “Just believe in yourself. Even if you don’t, pretend that you do and at some point, you will.”— Venus Williams
13. “Success isn’t always about ‘greatness.’ It’s about consistency. Consistent hard work gains success. Greatness will come.” — Dwayne Johnson
14. “A one-hour workout is 4% of your day. No excuses.” — Unknown
15. “When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.” — Unknown
16. “I don’t count my sit-ups. I only start counting when it starts hurting, because they’re the only ones that count.” — Muhammad Ali
17. “Obstacles can’t stop you. Problems can’t stop you. People can’t stop you. Only you can stop you.” — Jeffrey Gitomer
18. “The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tomorrow.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
19. “The groundwork for all happiness is good health.” — Leigh Hunt
20. “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.” — Jim Rohn
21. “A champion is someone who gets up when they can’t.” — Jack Dempsey
22. “Number one, like yourself. Number two, you have to eat healthy. And number three, you’ve got to squeeze your buns. That’s my formula.” — Richard Simmons
23. “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” — Wayne Gretzky
24. “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” — Michael Jordan
25. “Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” — Edward Stanley
26. “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” — Lance Armstrong
27. “Getting fit is all about mind over matter. I don’t mind, so it doesn’t matter.” — Adam Hargreaves
28. “Don’t train to be skinny. Train to be a badass.” — Demi Lovato
29. “Every champion was once a contender that refused to give up.” — Sylvester Stallone
30. “Fitness is not about being better than someone else. It’s about being better than you used to be.” — Khloe Kardashian
It doesn’t matter if you’re a pro athlete or starting your first-ever workout regimen. We could all use a little motivation every now and then. Share these fitness quotes with your friends and family to motivate everyone in your life to move and achieve.