Throughout his lengthy career, Johnny Depp’s image and reputation have evolved as each major role and Hollywood scandal has put his name in the spotlight. You might know him best as Captain Jack Sparrow or remember him as a teen in 21 Jump Street. His recent controversy with ex-wife Amber Heard has once again shifted his position as one of the most famous actors in the country. Still, he holds on to his image as being a talented actor capable of completely transforming himself for a role. Johnny Depp quotes illuminate his thought process in both his acting and real life.
Depp’s Hollywood debut happened with A Nightmare on Elm Street in 1984. That pivotal role marked the young actor for other eccentric characters including Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka, The Mad Hatter, Sweeny Todd, and, of course, Captain Jack Sparrow. More recently, Depp has taken on the challenge of entering the wizarding world as the infamous villain named Grindelwald in the Fantastic Beasts movie series.
Regardless of the character, Depp has maintained his ability to throw himself completely into his work and stun audiences with emotionally stirring performances. He is the recipient of both a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award, and he is one of the most commercially successful actors of his generation.
If you want to look deeper into the mind of this fascinating celebrity, keep reading for Johnny Depp quotes.
20 Johnny Depp quotes to help you get to know the man behind the character.
1. “Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.”
2. “I think the thing to do is to enjoy the ride while you’re on it.”
3. “I like the challenge of trying different things and wondering whether it’s going to work or whether I’m going to fall flat on my face.”
4. “I don’t trust anyone who hasn’t been self-destructive in some way, who hasn’t gone through some sort of bout of self-loathing. You’ve got to bang yourself around a bit to know yourself.”
5. “Things in life are not always as they seem. When you listen, for instance, to someone talking, there is another voice beneath his words. Even if you hear clearly what he is saying, the real truth is much deeper.”
6. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.”
7. “I just don’t know if movies can ever be considered art, because there’s so much money involved. It’s all about commerce. I don’t think art can come from that place.”
8. “Awards are not as important to me as when I meet a 10-year-old kid who says, ‘I love Captain Jack Sparrow.'”
9. “If there’s any message to my work, it is ultimately that it’s okay to be different, that it’s good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.”
10. “My body is my journal, and my tattoos are my story.”
11. “Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can’t.”
12. “Simplicity, that’s what I want. It’s been a rare commodity for me for a number of years, but I enjoy being able to hang out with my girl, read the newspaper and sit back and start to read a book by someone I admire, like Lawrence Krauss or Christopher Hitchens. And that’s it. Simplicity, where the game of Hollywood doesn’t exist.”
13. “There’s a drive in me that won’t allow me to do certain things that are easy.”
14. “I think everybody’s weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”
15. “Better to not know which moment may be your last. Every morsel of your entire being alive to the infinite mystery of it all.”
16. “Religion is a fascinating black hole to me.”
17. “You can close your eyes to the things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to the things you don’t want to feel.”
18. “If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn’t have fallen for the second.”
19. “As a teenager, I was so insecure. I was the type of guy that never fit in because he never dared to choose. I was convinced I had absolutely no talent at all. For nothing. And that thought took away all my ambition.”
20. “I don’t think it’s anything you ever get used to. For many years, I could never sort of put my name in the same sort of category as the ‘famous’ or anything like that. And I just found it very uncomfortable…if you get used to it, then something must be wrong.”
Johnny Depp quotes remind us that behind the stage makeup and colorful costumes, this highly-recognizable actor is more relatable than he seems. Don’t forget to share this post so that others can see Depp from behind his mask.