Few television sitcoms in history have earned as much fame and recognition as the 1950’s hit “I Love Lucy.” It’s been decades since the show aired, but it remains a classic mostly due to the comedic talents of its star, Lucille Ball. Actress, model, comedian, and eventual producer, Ball made her mark in Hollywood during a time when women were usually undervalued and underpaid. Despite those obstacles, Lucille Ball quotes reflect both humor and ambition.
Lucille Ball’s path to fame started in 1929 when she was hired as a model. From there, the New York native made her way to Broadway and a few minor films. By the 1950s, the established actress and aspiring comedian set her sights on television. She and her husband help create “I Love Lucy” in 1951, and the show quickly spiraled to be not only one of the most popular shows of that decade, but one of the most popular shows of all time.
The final episode of I Love Lucy aired in 1957, but that wasn’t the end to Ball’s career. She went on to star in other shows including The Lucy Show and Here’s Lucy before taking over Desilu Productions and becoming the first woman to run a major television studio.
Throughout her illustrious career, Ball was nominated for 13 Primetime Emmy Awards, was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame, and received several other awards and honors. She died in 1989, but Lucille Ball quotes continue to inspire women to follow their dreams.
Keep reading for the most memorable Lucille Ball quotes…
1. “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.”
2. “The more things you do, the more you can do.”
3. “The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.”
4. “Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work and realizing what is opportunity and what isn’t.”
5. “I’m not funny. What I am is brave.”
6.”I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.”
8. “It’s a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.”
9. “One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn’t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.”
10. “In life, all good things come hard, but wisdom is the hardest to come by.”
11. “People either have comedy or they don’t. You can’t teach it to them.”
12. “I’m happy that I have brought laughter because I have been shown by many the value of it in so many lives, in so many ways.”
13. “I think knowing what you cannot do is more important than knowing what you can.”
14. “Ability is of little account without opportunity.”
15. “Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead.”
16. “I believe that we’re as happy in life as we make up our minds to be.”
17. “Don’t let the brightness of that big goal blind you to what happens on the way toward the goal.”
18. “Meet one wave at a time and enjoy what progress you make.”
19. “I cured myself of shyness when it finally occurred to me that people didn’t think about me half as much as I gave them credit for.”
20. “Now get the hell out of here and go change the world.”
Energetic, determined, and glamorous, Lucille Ball goes down in history as a television icon. Celebrate her legacy by sharing these Lucille Ball quotes with friends and family.