From rapping to acting, Mark Wahlberg gravitates toward the spotlight. Today, he’s recognized around the world for his hit movies, notable music career, and a family reality TV show. Before his name hit the big screen, however, this Boston-born celebrity lived a turbulent life. Wahlberg’s past is marked by multiple criminal incidents, jail time, and drug addiction. Interviews with the actor reveal how his life has changed, and Mark Wahlberg quotes expose how his work ethic, faith, and family commitment have shaped his life.
Rewind to the 1990s, and a young Mark Wahlberg is making a name for himself as a rapper. Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch earned almost instant fame with their debut album and hit single, “Good Vibrations.” That record made it all the way to number one of the Billboard Hot 100 and was followed by two more less successful albums. The band broke up in 1993, but that taste of fame led Wahlberg into the world of acting.
Starting small and working his way up to big hits, Wahlberg eventually made it to be the world’s highest-paid actor in 2017. His most popular films range from hit comedies to big sports stories and action dramas.
Outside of the spotlight, Wahlberg is a self-proclaimed family man with four kids. He frequently brings up his role as a father in interviews and credits his family for helping him change his life for the better.
Read through these 25 Mark Wahlberg quotes to learn more about this famous actor.
1. “And I tell you, having girls has made me a much better man. I have friends who are fathers, but they only have boys, and they have the same attitude toward women they always had, you know? And I don’t play that…My girls, you mess with them? I will bury you underground.”
2. “I embrace old age. Look, I’m never going to dunk on LeBron James, and I’ve learned to accept that. I got a pretty good life, and I’m very fortunate, and I have my blessings.”
3. “I’ve always wanted to do right in life. But the wanting and the doing aren’t quite the same thing.”
4. “As far as I’m concerned, there’s no job more important on the planet than being a mom.”
5. “I work as hard as anybody will ever work and I like that. That’s why I’ve been successful and that is when I feel good about myself. If I do my damnedest and don’t succeed, I feel good about the effort.”
6. “If I succeed in business but fail as a father, then I’ve failed.”
7. “I never lie. I believe everything I say, so it’s not a lie.”
8. “I’ve always looked at my career as an athlete would look at his. I won’t play forever. Some don’t know when to walk away, but the smart ones do.”
9. “My sons and I thoroughly enjoy Legos. We go to the toy store every week for more. I never want to take what we build apart; I want to put it on a shelf. My wife is starting to get a little annoyed with Legos lying around.”
10. “For me, family always comes first; I would do anything to protect them.”
11. “Women don’t get the credit they deserve.”
12. “The only thing I don’t like about acting is that it takes so much time away from my family. Otherwise, I don’t have any complaints.”
13. “As soon as I ended up being incarcerated, I said, you know, this is not the life for me.”
14. “There’s nothing like seeing the smile on my kids’ faces. Laughing together, playing, it’s the best.”
15. “If you become complacent, you start feeling entitled.”
16. “The hardest thing about changing yourself is changing how other people see you.”
17. “For me to sit down and ask for material things is ridiculous. It’s a much bigger picture than that. I want to serve God and to be a good human being and make up for the mistakes I made and the pain I put people through. That’s what I’m praying for.”
18. “I have a lot of real-life experience with hustling.”
19. “You know you have two choices in life, basically, to succeed or to fail.”
20. “You got to have faith. Look at all the junk and see the treasure.”
21. “The environment I was raised in, you had to hustle to survive.”
22. “I can always see something of myself in the characters I play.”
23. “There’s nothing better than meeting somebody with a great soul and a great spirit and a good heart.”
24. “There’s a storm inside of us. I’ve heard many team guys speak of this. A burning. A river. A drive. An unrelenting drive to push yourself further than anyone could ever think possible.”
25. “I don’t want to let my guard down and feel too comfortable.”
If you laughed your way through Ted or still know all the words to “Good Vibrations,” you may be a Mark Wahlberg fan. Be sure to share these Mark Wahlberg quotes with friends to share the love.