When life hits you with something hard, remember that strength is about more than how much you can lift at the gym. There’s the physical strength you need to put one foot in front of the other, and then there’s inner strength. This is the mental and emotional fortitude that will get you through life’s toughest moments. Inner strength can be overlooked and undervalued, but these quotes about strength remind us all that its importance should never be underestimated.
Whether you’re battling grief, stress, hardship, or pain, it’s your inner strength that will help you persevere. Everyone in history has had moments when they were forced to draw on strength they weren’t sure they had. From your childhood neighbor to the most famous celebrities in the world, we can all benefit from quotes about strength that reminder us that if we dig deep, we’ll always make it through.
Here are 30 quotes about strength to help you through any situation.
1. “Life is very interesting. In the end, some of your greatest pains become your greatest strengths.” — Drew Barrymore
2. “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” — Christopher Reeve
3. “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” — Walt Disney
4. “Make up your mind that no matter what comes your way, no matter how difficult, no matter how unfair, you will do more than simply survive. You will thrive in spite of it.” — Joel Osteen
5. “You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” — Marcus Aurelius
6. “Anyone can give up; it is the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would expect you to fall apart, now that is true strength.” — Chris Bradford
7. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
8. “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
9. “Heroism is endurance for one moment more.” — George F. Kennan
10. “Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.” — Napoleon Hill
11. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” — Buddha
12. “A truly strong person does not need the approval of others any more than a lion needs the approval of sheep.” — Vernon Howard
13. “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” — Mahatma Gandhi
14. “I think scars are like battle wounds, beautiful, in a way. They show what you’ve been through and how strong you are for coming out of it.” — Demi Lovato
15. “Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” — Henry Rollins
16. “Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.” — Oprah Winfrey
17. “The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.” — Arnold Schwarzenegger
18. “Perhaps I am stronger than I think.” — Thomas Merton
19. “Do not judge me by my success, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.” — Nelson Mandela
20. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
21. “When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.” — Peter Marshall
22. “We don’t even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward.” — Isabel Allende
23. “Rock bottom became the solid foundation in which I rebuilt my life.” — J.K. Rowling
24. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” — Robert H. Schuller
25. “Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.” — William Ellery Channing
26. “Sometimes you don’t know your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.” — Susan Gale
27. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice.” — Bob Marley
28. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” — Khalil Gibran
29. “Whoever you are, whatever your dream, you have to be strong in your head and strong in your heart. Be strong. There’s no quitting in the person who wants it bad enough.” — Carly Patterson
30. “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.” — Bruce Lee
There will always be situations in life when a few encouraging words can give you the power to overcome an obstacle. Whether you’re going through your own struggles or know that a friend or family member could use your support, don’t forget to share these quotes about strength.