Steveland Hardaway Morris, known to the world as Stevie Wonder, was a child prodigy who grew into one of the most talented musicians of his time. He has sold millions of albums, regularly fills concert venues, and he does it all without the use of his eyes. Whether it’s his velvety smooth voice, his rhythm with the drums, skill on the harmonica, or mastery on the keyboard, this blind musician has true talent. He has spent a lot of time on stage and in recording studios, but Stevie Wonder quotes also relate to overcoming challenges and loving who you are.
Born premature, Stevie Wonder lost his sight soon after birth. Thanks to encouragement from his family, especially his mother, his musical talent didn’t take long to develop. By the time he was 13, his single “Fingertips” was number one on the Billboard Hot 100. To this day, he remains the youngest artist to top the chart.
As he grew older, Stevie explored different music genres and continued to release top-selling albums. Most of his hits fall into categories including rhythm and blues, soul, gospel, jazz, and funk. He even says he’s a fan of rap and is often inspired by rappers including Tupac and Biggie Smalls.
With 25 Grammy’s, Stevie Wonder has been influencing music for over six decades. It isn’t only his music, however, that people have fallen in love with. Stevie has been a reliable source of optimism and inspiration. Stevie Wonder quotes show how this talented musician refuses to let obstacles get in his way of loving himself, others, and his music.
25 Stevie Wonder quotes to celebrate a talented musician.
1. “Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn’t mean he lacks vision.”
2. “You can’t base your life on other people’s expectations.”
3. “I am what I am. I love me! And I don’t mean that egotistically. I love that God has allowed me to take whatever it was that I had and to make something out of it.”
4. “Let us come together before we’re annihilated.”
5. “Do you know, it’s funny, but I never thought of being blind as a disadvantage, and I never thought of being black as a disadvantage.”
6. “Time is long, but life is short.”
7. “Music, at its essence, is what gives us memories. And the longer a song has existed in our lives, the more memories we have of it.”
8. “Eyes lie if you ever look into them for the character of the person.”
9. “No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music.”
10. “When I was a child, kids used to make fun of me because I was blind. But I just became more curious, ‘How can I climb this tree and get an apple for this girl?’ That’s what mattered to me.”
11. “You know, I have seven children, so I guess I know some things about life.”
12. “There are a lot of things happening that show us that this, right now, is a time to love.”
13. “We all have ability. The difference is how we use it.”
14. “Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand.”
15. “Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.
16. “Law and order comes from having respect for one another.”
17. “Fear can’t put dreams to sleep.”
18. “Minds ripen at very different ages.”
19. “I’m believing that miracles and blessings still exist.”
20. “Life has meaning only in the struggle. Triumph or defeat is in the hands of the gods. So let us celebrate the struggle!”
21. “Use your heart to love somebody. And if your heart is big enough, use your heart to love everybody.”
22. “Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.”
23. “What I’m not confused about is the world needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry, and more unity, peace, and understanding. Period.”
24. “I listen to a lot of rap, and I’m inspired to take it, to use it in another way, to get the message across.”
25. “I’m a work in progress, but if I know in my heart that I’m doing my best, that my heart’s in the right place, that I have unconditional love, I feel okay.”
Stevie Wonder has been inspiring music lovers for generations. His talent is undeniable, and his positive life view is contagious. Don’t forget to share these Stevie Wonder quotes with your friends and family.