Sweet and sensible Andy Sachs (played by Anne Hathaway) shows what a true transformation looks like in the 2006 hit The Devil Wears Prada. Stacked with other first-string actors including Meryl Streep, Stanley Tucci, and Emily Blunt, this comedy/drama is all about life lessons, but in a way that’s both hilarious and relatable. With streams of positive reviews on both IMBD and Rotten Tomatoes, we rely on The Devil Wears Prada quotes to expose the dirty side of New York fashion and make us feel better about our own stressful careers.
The Devil Wears Prada is one of those few movies that might actually be better than the book it’s based on. This particular piece of cinematic gold is an adaption of a novel written by author Lauren Weisberger. And the storyline is loosely based on Weisberger’s own stint as an assistant to a powerful fashion mogul.
The movie’s great success is often credited to the performances of the stand-out cast. The film only got the green light when Meryl Streep agreed to jump on board, and it ultimately earned her both Oscar and Golden Globe nominations. Besides Streep, Emily Blunt also stood out in her role as the surly first assistant. Out of all these The Devil Wears Prada quotes, Blunt’s catty jabs make up some of the best.
Overall, The Devil Wears Prada is a snapshot into what it’s like to work for a multi-billion-dollar industry in one of the fastest-moving cities in the world. It’s about stepping out of your comfort zone and learning what it is you really want in life—even if you get a little lost along the way.
We hope these The Devil Wears Prada quotes make you want to rewatch this movie no matter how many times you’ve already seen it.
1. “But what if this isn’t what I want? I mean what if I don’t wanna live the way you live?” — Andy Sachs
2. “By all means move at a glacial pace. You know how that thrills me.” — Miranda Priestly
3. “Oh, don’t be ridiculous, Andrea. Everybody wants this. Everybody wants to be us.” — Miranda Priestly
4. “Let me know when your whole life goes up in smoke. Means it’s time for a promotion.” — Nigel
5. “Florals? For spring? Groundbreaking.” — Miranda Priestly
6. “You don’t deserve them, I mean, you eat carbs, for Christ’s sake!” — Emily Charlton
7. “Excuse me, can we adjust the attitude? Don’t make me feed you to one of the models.” — Nigel
8. “You sold your soul to the devil when you put on your first pair of Jimmy Choos, I saw it.” — Emily Charlton
9. “You know, in case you were wondering, the person whose calls you always take? That’s the relationship you’re in. I hope you two are very happy together.” — Nate
10. “You know, I rarely say this to people who aren’t me, but you have got to calm down. Bloody hell…” — Emily Charlton
11. “A little Crisco, some fishing wire, and we’re in business.” — Nigel
12. “All right, everyone, gird your loins.” — Nigel
13. “I don’t care if she was going to fire you or beat you with a red hot poker! You should have said, ‘no!'” — Emily Charlton
14. “Did you fall down and smack your little head on the pavement?” — Miranda Priestly
15. “I’m just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.” — Emily Charlton
16. “Same Andy, better clothes.” — Andy Sachs
17. “Andy, be serious. You’re not trying, you’re whining.” — Nigel
18. “That’s what this multi-billion dollar industry is all about anyway, isn’t it? Inner beauty.” — Nigel
19. “Can you please spell Gabbana?” — Andy Sachs
20. “I’m sorry, do you have some prior commitment? Some hideous skirt convention you have to go to?” — Emily Charlton
21. “She’s not happy unless everyone around her is panicked, nauseous, or suicidal.” — Andy Sachs
22. “Find me that piece of paper I had in my hand yesterday morning.” — Miranda Priestly
23. “No, no, you chose. You chose to get ahead. You want this life. Those choices are necessary.” — Miranda Priestly
24. “A million girls would kill for this job.” — Emily Charlton
25. “You have some very large shoes to fill. I hope you know that.” — Emily Charlton
We hope you enjoyed this collection of The Devil Wears Prada movie quotes. If you’ve got a gal pal that loves the book/movie too, share these quotes with them!